16 February 2008

good news

This past couple of weeks there has been, up in Hungary, a train strike that has been on and off. Because these trips of mine rely heavily on trains, I have been trying to keep myself informed about these train strikes. Over the course of the days leading up to our arrival in Budapest and our preparation to travel south I must admit that I worried about the availability of the trains. On Thursday night as we bought our tickets south from Budapest, we were told by two different people that the strike was called off. But these were people I did not know, so I was unsure. At a meeting we were at in Budapest Thursday night, I got to make a new friend named Balazc and Balazc worked for the railroad. As he left, my new friend said, that the strike was over. I was very glad and I said: “that’s good news.” And I thought about how that made me feel, I was reassured. I felt comforted. I was glad. Good news is good Good News (the gospel) is better.

This morning we took a train from Szeged to Subotica and the Emperor picked us up in the chariot and took us to get burek and hang out at his parents house for a while. We talked about the fact that perhaps tomorrow Kosovo will at 1700 hrs on the 17th of Feb. declare its independance from Serbia. Soon afterward we drove to Vukovar... I loved this sign on the way, note the two Budapest options, a left turn anyone?


I'm glad we left Serbia today, the borders may be interesting tomorrow. What will be the ramifications of Kosovo's independance? an inportant question that only time's passing can answer.



Upon arrival in Vukovar we began telling Dan and Mario the story of the war in Vukovar... In 4 1/2 years of coming here I have seen progress. The red building on the righ was norm... on the left is whats new!



peace to you from Vukovar.

1 comment:

Laci and Keri NĂ©meth said...

Tom,
What will we show to people when they renew the RED BRICK building???
No one will believe us there was actually a war here... :)

Lazo