23 November 2006

thankful

My daughter Joanna, and some friends from college who were in for Thanksgiving dinner, were in the storage room of our basement this afternoon and found a couple of pix that blew me away... one of them was this pic of a group of kids at a refuge camp in Hungary.
This pic was taken in June of 1999; the summer of the NATO war against Serbia. Our mission team took flip-flops, t-shirts and shorts for kids collected by students from my school. These are Kosavar refugees who had fled their homes because of Serb oppression.
I remember carrying milk, oranges, and toys to these kids...
I remember when asked, their dads didn't ask for money or anything for themselves; they asked for milk and fresh fruit for their children...
I remember going into one family's room and their sending a kid out to buy a 2 liter Coke so they could entertain some of us...
I remember being thankful...
I am thankful...
[this refugee camp was the model for the camp in "a story i'm writing"]

1 comment:

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

Ah, memories........I remember two families living in one room that was about 10 feet by 30 feet, and cupboards separated the two parts of the room.