06 March 2007

did I mention I'm readin Obama?

Back a few months ago, I picked up Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope. It has not been priority reading. But it has gone from a window sill, to bedside table (a worthless place for meeee...zzzzzzzzz) and to the table beside my spot in the living room. So yesterday when I didn't feel like heavy reading I picked it up and began where I left off maybe a month ago... I was in the chapter titled "Faith." I was and am facinated by what the man has to say. It sounds to me like he will be worshiping Him forever. He writes in this chapter what amounts to a "Beliefs Thesis" (my students will get that) without the theological jargon.

"I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth." (p. 208)

huh...

capitalized pronouns and all...

can Rush say this? oh, sorry...

further, Mr. Obama says...

"But religion is rarely practiced in isolation; organized religion, at least, is a very public affair." (p. 213)

and

"Our failure as progressives to tap into the moral underpinnings of the nation is not just rhetorical, though. Our fears of getting 'preachy' may also lead us to discount the role that values and culture play in addressing some of our most urgent social problems." (p. 214-5)

"...the problems of poverty and racism and the uninsured... are also rooted in societal indifference and individual callousness--..." (p. 215)

interesting, very interesting...

No comments: