17 February 2007

Saturday Morning in Sarajevo

On the wall of a building on a side street near the river is this marker... it states


"FROM THIS PLACE ON 28 JUNE 1914 GAVRILO PRINCIP ASSASSINATED THE HEIR TO THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN THRONE FRANZ FERDINAND AND HIS WIFE SOFIA"


An interesting historical spot to say the least...


Below you will see that outside the mosque that dominates the main street in the old town there are people begging... older women, younger women with babies and children...















a bit later, we were wandering the market street when I noticed Laci in front of a mobile phone store... in this awesome stone building... I love the mixture of the old with the new...













In need of coffee, we went to a place that specialized in Turkish coffee... I, like Mark says over on his blog, have become a lover of this strong yet oddly smooth boiled coffee... now if one of my friends will tell me how to make it with my souviener coffee boiling set...

after coffee, we headed out to begin out trek back to Croatia... I spotted this scene of what is probably called New Sarajevo as we tried to find our way out of town...










Laci guided the Opel skilllfully through the streets and then we saw the sign showing the way to Tuzla and we KNEW we were on the right road... following the road signs... keeping an eye on the signposts is the way to keep on track... I think of Psalm 19... and I think of a great quote from C. S. Lewis... "Theology is like a map"



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God heal Croatia, Romania, and all who have suffered by war and dictatorships in the area.

revtom said...

amen